The Federal Government says it has deployed more than 7,000 Forest Guards across seven frontline states to clear Nigeria’s forests of criminal elements and strengthen internal security.
The deployment followed the completion of a three-month training programme under the Presidential Forest Guards Initiative, launched in May 2025 by President Bola Tinubu.
This was disclosed in a statement issued on Saturday in Abuja by Rabiu Ibrahim, Special Assistant (Media) to the Minister of Information and National Orientation.
Read also: UN expresses concern over indiscriminate abductions by bandits in Nigeria
The initiative is being implemented through the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA).
According to the statement, the programme is aimed at preventing terrorists, bandits, kidnappers, and other criminal groups from using forests and remote areas as hideouts.
“Graduation ceremonies for the Forest Guards were held on 27 December 2025 in Borno, Sokoto, Yobe, Adamawa, Niger, Kwara, and Kebbi States”.
The statement explained that the training was structured to prepare participants for field operations, with a curriculum that combined environmental conservation and security skills to enable the guards to protect forest resources and surrounding communities.
The trainees underwent physical and mental conditioning, including endurance drills, obstacle navigation, and patrol simulations suited to forest environments.
They were also trained in tactical field operations such as movement coordination, response to contact, ambush management, rescue missions, and coordinated operations aimed at denying criminals access to forest areas.
Ethics and professionalism were central to the programme. Participants received instruction on human rights, International Humanitarian Law, gender rights, and the protection of civilians. Arms handling and use-of-force procedures were guided by an Arms Management Manual approved by all participating agencies.
Speaking at the graduation ceremonies, Nuhu Ribadu,National Security Adviser, said the deployment marked an important step toward restoring government presence in affected areas and protecting communities.
“These Forest Guards will support security agencies by holding territory, gathering intelligence, and helping to recover areas previously occupied by criminal groups,” Ribadu said.
He confirmed that deployment commenced immediately after graduation, adding that salaries and allowances would begin without delay.
“Every certified Forest Guard has been posted to an assigned duty location,” he stated.
The programme recorded a 98.2 per cent completion rate. While 81 trainees were disqualified on disciplinary grounds, two others died due to pre-existing medical conditions. All remaining participants were certified and cleared for operational duty.
“The Forest Guards were recruited from their local government areas, enabling them to apply local knowledge and community networks in addressing banditry, kidnapping, and illegal forest activities”.
Read also: Nigeria classifies kidnappers and bandits as terrorists
The statement further noted that the Nigerian Forest Guard initiative is an inter-agency programme led by the National Security Adviser in collaboration with the Federal Ministry of Environment. Operations are coordinated by the Department of State Services (DSS) and the National Park Service, with support from the Defence Headquarters, the Nigerian Army, the Nigerian Navy, the Nigeria Police Force, and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC).
It added that Governors and Deputy Governors from the participating states attended the graduation ceremonies, including Kwara State Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq and Yobe State Governor Mai Mala Buni, while other states were represented by their deputies.
Reaffirming the Federal Government’s position, Ribadu said the initiative would be expanded nationwide.
“Protecting the forests is essential to securing the country and its people. The Federal Government remains committed to building a safer Nigeria,” he said.


