Ad image

2019 elections: Reps query N28.6bn for recruitment of Ad-hoc staff, others

Elijah Bello
6 Min Read
Members of the House of Representatives’ Committee on Electoral and Political Party Matters on Wednesday queried the sum of N28.6 billion proposed as honoraria for 2,763,990 Ad-hoc Staff during the 2019 general elections.
From the total sum of N2.916 billion proposed for RAC preparation for the general elections, the Commission proposed for RAC management/activation, N56.600 million for operation kite for 2,000 tents, N123.474 million for unsitpulated number of megaphones, N6.016 billion for unspecified number of sleeping mats and N232.773 million for unspecified number of tactical torchlights, respectively.
According to Mahmoud Yakubu, Chairman, Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), from the total sum of N189.2 billion required to conduct the polls including: Presidential, National Assembly, Governorship and State House of Assembly elections, the sums of N134,427,868,157.50 is for election operational cost; N27,503,970,680 is for election technological cost; N22,660,887,887.50 is for election administrative cost while N4,614,818,168.13 is for miscellaneous expenses.
The lawmakers who observed that the 2019 elections budget rose by N69 billion above the N120 billion spent on the 2015 general elections, also demanded explanation for the N6 billion proposed for feeding of policemen.
Other controversial subheads identified in the documents obtained by BusinessDay include: N1.050 billion for CBN charges for storage and logistics including NAF charges; N7.995 billion for movement allowance for poll officials; N2 billion for election duty allowance;  N972 million for production of election guidelines; N40.630 million for monitoring of training of Ad-hoc staff for regulatory compliance in the states and LGAs, N5.477 billion for hiring of vehicles for Ad-hoc staff as well as N1.867 billion for security at elections.
The lawmakers also observed that in the security component of the elections budget and the regular budget of the Nigeria Police Force, there was provision to cater for police welfare while on important assignments.
Shawulu noted, “When policemen are sent out on assignments such as elections, they are paid. There is a budget for them and we still have N6 billion here.
“Is this one a duplication? You have put another N7bn here again for security and procurement of security vehicles. Why?”
On his part, Jonathan Gaza, said: “Why did you provide about N700 million for international observers? We know that the European Union and the United Nations, they all make provisions for their independent observer missions. Is INEC going to pay them in 2019?”
In his response, the INEC chief explained that the Commission had so far registered 12.1 million new voters, in addition to the existing 70 million, bringing the total voter population to plan for in 2019 to 82.1 million.
He added that 91 political parties have so far been registered in 2019 with a longer  ballot paper.
“We have to monitor the activities of all these political parties like primaries, congresses and conventions. We have to process forms for all of their candidates.
“What this means is that, if all the 91 parties will present candidates for all the categories of elections, INEC will have to produce 141,778 nomination forms.
“Again, it means we are budgeting for additional ad hoc staff, up to almost one million and still counting, because we actually have over 140 applications by associations seeking registration, awaiting consideration.”
While responding to question on the N6 billion provided for police feeding, Mahmoud said it was an initiative by INEC to adequately cater for policemen and other security personnel.
“These policemen suffer a lot too and we just have to be human. If our own members of staff are eating food, it doesn’t look nice to ignore the people providing security for them.
“They escort the elections materials from point to-point and honestly, it is not easy for them. So, we have made a provision of N1,000 for each policeman. Because of the many number that will be used for the elections, that is why the total looks big”, he added.
On the alleged duplications of subheads in the 2018 INEC budget, Mahmoud explained that the Commission had earlier informed the National Assembly that the 2019 elections budget would be separate from annual statutory budget.
He explained that INEC must still function as an agency and perform other routine duties like conducting new elections,  bye-elections and pay staff salaries, which were the purpose for the 2018 budget.
According to him, the Commission conducted 10 elections between January to date: ” As we speak, the Osun State governorship election is next.
“Many of the bye-elections were as a result of deaths, which is something INEC could not control. Remember, by the provisions of our laws, there is a time frame for INEC to fill any vacant position. All of these activities consume money. They are separate from the 2019 general elections,” Mahmoud explained.
 KEHINDE AKINTOLA, Abuja
Share This Article