The Federal Government has announced that road construction projects below the contract sum of N20 billion would no longer be given to expatriate firms, but local firms.
David Umahi, the minister of Works disclosed this during his inspection visit to the ongoing dualization of the East-West Road (Section IIIA) project. The move according to the minister, is part of measures to promote the Nigeria first policy of the government.
“Henceforth any project below the contract sum of N20 Billion would not be given to expatriate firms, and this is part of measures to promote the Nigeria First policy of Federal Government of Nigeria,” Umahi said in a statement issued to Journalists on Tuesday.
He also explained that the Ministry of Works had compiled all the projects that were previously scheduled to be funded through the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited tax credit scheme, for strategic priority funding. He noted that the most critical projects within the national economic corridor would receive precedence in the hierarchy of prioritization.
“We are inspecting projects of federal government in Rivers State, and this particular one is the dualization of Eleme Junction to Onne Port Junction by RCC. Recall that one carriageway was completed and commissioned, even though there are a few things we ordered afresh like the retaining wall and hanging drainage. For the second carriageway with some bridges and flyovers, work has started on it.
“Let me say that this is part of the NNPC Tax Credit that has been stopped in terms of funding by NNPC. But graciously, we have compiled all the NNPC inherited Tax Credit projects, and we presented as Ministry of Works to Mr. President. And Mr. President has graciously directed that none of such works should stop now.
“However, as Ministry, we are going to do prioritization of the projects and look at the most critical of these projects within the national economic corridor like this one. And we are going to put it forward for immediate funding because the President directed that none of such projects should stop now,” he said.
He urged contractors handling road projects under the Federal Ministry of Works to ensure speed, quality, compliance with specification and sustainability in project delivery.
According to Umahi, the attention of the anti-graft agencies would be called to any case of violation of the regulations or terms and conditions set out under the contract of projects being handled by the Federal Ministry of Works.
Umahi speaking further, condemned the packing of heavy duty vehicles on the road stressing that the Nigerian roads are designed to carry heavy trailers. He warned that forthwith punitive measures would be taken against such perpetrators.
“Our roads are not designed to carry these heavy trailers that are parking on the road. And the press should help us on that. When I was coming yesterday all the way from Aba to here, I saw that the trailers are taking over the entire roads, putting their waste, destroying the pavements, and so on and so forth.
” So I’m going to write to our dear Governors to see what they could help us to do about it, and will also complain to the Inspector General of Police. Let us see what we can do about it. Mr. President is doing everything possible to right the wrongs in terms of road construction. We are doing quality roads now that are going to last from 50 to 100 years but it’s being destroyed by ourselves,” he added.



