The federal government on Monday announced the cancellation of the Independence Anniversary parade, previously scheduled for October 1 to mark the nation’s 65th Independence.
Segun Imohiosen, director of Information, Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), said Tthis in a statement on Monday
The statement however noted that “the cancellation is in no way a diminishment of the significance of this milestone anniversary.”
The SGF said the government remains committed to celebrating Nigeria’s 65th year of independence with dignity and enthusiasm.
Accordingly, all other programmes slated for the Independence Anniversary will remain in effect.
The government said it “deeply regrets any inconvenience caused by this cancellation.”
According to the statement, “The Federal Government appreciates the understanding, support and cooperation of all Nigerians, members of the diplomatic community, and invited guests, and urges Nigerians to support the reforms of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, GCFR in making Nigeria a greater nation.”

