A high level delegation from the Economic Community of West African States arrived in Guinea Bissau on Monday as regional leaders stepped up pressure on the military officers who seized power after last week’s disputed election.
The mission was led by Julius Maada Bio, president of Sierra Leone and chair of ECOWAS, who urged the coup leaders to begin what he called a “complete restoration of constitutional order.” The visit marks the strongest regional intervention since the army took control three days after the tightly contested vote.
Read also: Nigeria grants asylum to Guinea Bissau opposition candidate Fernando Dias
The military has imposed sweeping restrictions across the country, banning protests and strikes as uncertainty deepens. But the ECOWAS team said the talks were constructive. “We have had very fruitful discussions today,” Sierra Leone’s foreign minister Timothy Musa Kabba told reporters. “Both sides have expressed their different concerns.”
Joao Bernardo Vieira, Guinea Bissau’s newly appointed foreign minister under the junta, welcomed the regional presence, saying it was “very clearly established” that ECOWAS would remain engaged.
“ECOWAS will not leave the country during this difficult period,” he said. “The transitional authorities and the military will continue their discussions.”
Read also: Guinea Bissau’s ousted president Embalo flees to Senegal after coup
The crisis began after both incumbent president Umaro Sissoco Embalo and opposition contender Fernando Dias da Costa claimed victory before provisional results were released. No official results has been made public since. During the takeover, Embalo told French media by phone that he had been deposed and arrested. He has since fled to Brazzaville in the Republic of Congo.
The military has installed former army chief General Horta Inta A as head of a one year transitional government. Inta A announced a new 28 member cabinet at the weekend, dominated by figures linked to the ousted president.
Nigeria has taken a particularly strong stance president Bola Tinubu has authorised protection for opposition candidate Dias da Costa, citing what it called an imminent threat to his life. A letter from Nigeria’s foreign minister to ECOWAS said Dias da Costa is currently sheltering at the Nigerian embassy in Bissau and requested the deployment of regional troops to secure him.
Read also: Army general sworn in as Guinea Bissau transition leader, reopens borders
Meanwhile, the main opposition African Independence Party for Guinea and Cape Verde said heavily armed militia groups had “illegally invaded” its headquarters. The party was barred from fielding a candidate in the November election, a move described by rights groups as part of a wider crackdown on dissent.
ECOWAS responded to the coup by suspending Guinea Bissau from all its decision making bodies until civilian rule is restored. The United Nations secretary general Antonio Guterres also urged the junta to release all detained officials, including members of the electoral commission and opposition figures.


