…orders the arrest of operatives behind the incident
Chukwuma Soludo, governor of Anambra State, has condemned the assault on Jennifer Elobor, a National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) member, by members of the state security officers.
The government of Anambra State vehemently condemned the acts of the operatives who were seen beating a female NYSC member despite her pleas for help, and has ordered their arrest.
Read also: WhatNext Africa, NYSC mobilise corps members for youth transition programme
A video of the incident where the operatives armed with guns stormed the corps members’ lodge, accused them of being internet fraudsters despite showing their identification cards and uniforms, went viral on Tuesday, September 19.
In the video, the corps member was seen begging the security operatives to stop as they continued to hit her; despite this, the operatives continued to beat her.
However, this indecent act has triggered outrage on social media, with many Nigerians condemning the actions of the vigilante group and demanding justice for the victim.
Ken Emeakayi, Special Adviser to Chukwuma Soludo on Community Security, speaking on Channels Television’s ‘The Morning Brief’ on Tuesday, described the incident as unfortunate and unacceptable.
He confirmed that the operatives involved in the assault had been arrested and are currently under investigation.
“The incident occurred during a joint security operation when operatives of Agbunechemba, the state security outfit established under the Anambra State Homeland Security Law 2025, pursued suspected cultists into a residential compound,” he explained.
Emeakayi further explained that the operation was part of Operation Udo G’achi, a code name for joint task force operations involving the police, army, Department of State Services, civil defence, and the state’s security outfit.
“The operatives were on the trail of some suspected cultists riding on motorcycles when they pursued them into a compound. In the process of searching the houses in line with their mandate, the unfortunate incident involving the corps member occurred.
“While they were acting within the law, their conduct in that instance was unacceptable,” he said.
He emphasised that the Soludo government immediately addressed the matter.
“Immediately the incident happened, we arrested the operatives involved and placed them in detention.
Read also: FG flags off YouthCred initiative for NYSC corps members
“Our practice is to first carry out preliminary investigations, bring in the victims and complainants, and then determine whether the matter warrants internal disciplinary action or prosecution,” he said.
The special adviser also revealed that the assaulted corps member was invited to his office alongside NYSC officials, where he listened to their account of the incident.
“We conclude that while the operatives were on a legitimate assignment, how they acted was not acceptable.
“We have made that very clear, and disciplinary measures are being taken,” he noted.
He assured residents of Anambra that Soludo’s administration will not condone any abuse of power by security agents, particularly against innocent citizens.


