Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT) has struck out an application filed by Senate president, Bukola Saraki, demanding the dismissal of his ongoing trial at the tribunal.
The tribunal struck out the application challenging the validity of the charge against him and praying the tribunal to strike out the 13-count charge of alleged false asset declaration.
Danladi Umar, chairman of the tribunal, noted in its ruling that the CCT had high regard for the Senate president’s application, noting, “Where the court lacks jurisdiction; whatever it does is nullity.”
According to Umar, the person who initiates criminal proceedings directly affects the competence of the said proceedings, stressing that based on Section 174 of the 1999 Constitution, the Attorney General of the Federation has the legal prerogative to make criminal proceedings and does not owe any explanations to any one on how to go about it.
Regarding the reference made by Kanu Agabi to the case between the Federal Government and Bola Tinubu, the tribunal was of the view that the judgement given in that case was in error and clearly departed from it.
He said the tribunal had the legal prerogative to liaise with other government agencies in its investigations and the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), based on information before the tribunal, had earlier investigated Saraki’s case.
The tribunal chairman said the Bureau had the right to investigate complains in collaborations with other government agencies and proceed with the trial based on its findings.
The case was hereby struck out, and the trial adjourned till April 5 for hearing and presentation of witnesses by the prosecution.


