As the 14-day observation period for the 39 contacts of the first Italian index case of Coronavirus isolated in the Lafarge Africa’s facilities at Ewekoro in Ogun State lapses today, uncertainties rise over the reunion of the contacts with family members and the communities at large, as some residents are already expressing some degree of anxieties.
Some residents of Ewekoro, who spoke with some journalists that visited the Isolation Centre within Lafarge facilities on Wednesday, observed that the place was somehow deserted except for the security men manning the gate of Lafarge Africa’s Ishofin Estate as the residents await what would happen on Thursday or Friday, when the 39 contacts would be freed and reunited with their families.
Recall that the first Italian index case of the Coronavirus was recorded in Lagos en route Lafarge Africa’s facilities in Ogun State on February 28, which prompted government, World Health Organisation and Lafarge Africa to isolate 40 persons that had had contact with the Italian for close clinical observation for a 14-day period.
But, Osagie Ehanire, minister of health on Monday, announced that one of the 40 isolated contacts at Ewekoro was diagnosed and tested positive to the deadly virus, though not symptomatic as of Monday that marked 11 days of isolation and close clinical observation of the contacts, confirming the second Coronavirus case in Nigeria, reducing the number of isolated contacts at Ewekoro to 39.
BusinessDay reports that some residents and members of staff who spoke with the journalists in confidence said “though some members of staff know some of the contacts as some of them are living close to the facilities with their families, the non-disclosure of the contacts’ identities would also contribute to panics and uncertainties that surround the whole things.
“Although, our facilities have been taken over by Government, Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and WHO as you can see – the Ishofin estate has been converted to Isolation Centre, but I think Government needs to do more by updating the people of the goings-on to douse the tensions, I won’t lie for you, by seeing us with Lafarge uniforms, people are panic, it takes us to explain all the efforts being taken to douse people’s tensions.
“Tomorrow (Thursday) will clock 14 days of close clinical observation and we shall thank God if the remaining contacts are negative but it will take lots of information and explanations to the people why they must not treat the freed contacts as pariah because may think that they will contract the deadly disease from them.
“Therefore, they will run away from them once they know that they are the contacts. Identities of these people can’t be covered continuously rather they must demythicise the myths, rumours and fallacies around the Coronavirus for these people to be properly reunited with their families and communities at large.”
Meanwhile, the Ogun State government has said its proactive measures being put in place to contain and prevent the spread of COVID-19 outbreak popularly known as Coronavirus in the state is yielding positive results.
The Commissioner for Health in Ogun State, Tomi Coker who made this known while speaking with news men in her Oke-Mosan office in Abeokuta on the second confirmed case of the virus said, “the case was confirmed from one of the 40 people who had contact with the first Italian index and had earlier been quarantined after testing their blood samples”.
According to her, “if we had not been proactive to have tracked down those who had had contact with the first Italian index, he would have been spreading it everywhere but for our measures being put in place”.
The Health Commissioner noted that even the person identified, up until now has not developed any symptoms disclosing that she is optimistic that the remaining 39 people who have spent 13 days as at Tuesday, out of 14 days meant for the quarantine period would soon be declared free of the virus.
Coker reiterated calls on all residents of the state to be calm and not panic, assuring that the Ogun State government is not leaving any stone unturned towards containing the virus.
She used the avenue to enjoin all to continue to maintain simple personal hygiene by engaging in regular hand washing with soap and flowing water as well as maintain proper respiratory hygiene by sneezing or coughing into the elbow or make use of tissue papers which must be properly disposed after use.
The Commissioner added that if any case is suspected, people should endeavour to put a call through to the following emergency numbers, 08188978392 or 08188978393 for immediate response.
