National Sports Commission (NSC) Chairman, Shehu Dikko, has confirmed that the match bonuses for Super Eagles players and officials have been approved and are currently being processed for payment.
Dikko’s clarification followed reports that Super Eagles players were threatening to boycott training and delay travel to Marrakech ahead of Saturday’s AFCON 2025 quarter-final clash against Algeria.
Read Also: AFCON: Super Eagles threaten to boycott training over unpaid win bonuses
The Super Eagles were owed win bonuses for their first four matches of the tournament: victories over Tanzania, Tunisia, Uganda and Mozambique. Reports suggested the players had warned they would not train or travel unless the issue was resolved.
AFCON Budget Approved Since November
Dikko disclosed that President Bola Tinubu approved the Super Eagles’ AFCON 2025 budget in November 2025, ensuring alignment between the NSC, the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) and the players.
“The president approved the entire AFCON budget on Nov. 14, 2025. From our end, the funding has been fully cleared,” Dikko said.
He explained that approval and processing were separate stages, but assured that the release of funds is underway.
“Approving the money is one thing, processing it is another, but the players know the funds have been approved,” he added.
Read Also: AFCON 2025: Quarter-final fixtures, dates and venues
Bonuses Agreed Before AFCON Tournament
The NSC chairman said meetings were held with the NFF, the team captain, co-captain and senior players to agree on bonuses for every stage of the competition.
“We sat down, negotiated and agreed on what the players are entitled to up to the final. Everybody is clear,” he said.
Dikko stressed that the players understood and accepted the incentive structure before the tournament began.
“The players know exactly what they are playing for and what their bonuses are at every stage,” he stated.
Allowances Settled, Bonuses Underway
Dikko further explained that the only payments requested in cash were daily allowances, which had already been settled.
“The only cash request was daily allowances, and that has been sorted and made available,” he said.
According to him, match bonuses had been approved and were currently being processed.
“The bonuses have been approved. The process is ongoing, and the money will come,” Dikko assured.
Finance Ministry, CBN Involved
He added that the Ministry of Finance and the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) were working to ensure timely disbursement.
“The Ministry of Finance and CBN are on this, so everything will come on time,” Dikko said.
Focus turns to Algeria clash
The Super Eagles of Nigeria will battle Algeria for a place in the semi-finals and are expected to depart Fès for Marrakech on Thursday ahead of Saturday’s encounter at the Stade de Marrakech.


