Non-Academic Staff Union (NASU) and the Senior Staff Union of Universities (SSANU) have given the federal government a seven-day ultimatum to the Minister of Education to address outstanding labour matters affecting its members.
The Union said it is compelled to serve a formal notice of seven (7) days effective from Monday, 15th September, 2025, to address our agitations, failing which members of NASU and SSANU would embark on a series of legitimate industrial actions, including strikes, to press home our demands”
This was contained in a statement signed by Peters Adeyemi, General Secretary, NASU, and Mohammed Ibrahim, President, SSANU and Chairman of the Joint Action Committee, JAC.
In the joint statement, both Unions on Monday, the two associations recalled a letter dated 18th June, 2025, the Joint Action Committee (JAC) of NASU and SSANU, where they drew the Minister’s attention to the need for an urgent intervention in outstanding labour matters affecting the body.s
They listed the disbursement of N50Billion earned allowances; non-payment of outstanding withheld salaries and 25/35% salary increments; and renegotiation of the year 2009 FGN and NASU/SSANU agreements.
The Unions also pleaded with the Minister to address the aforestated issues, in line with the resolution that a “Tripartite Committee comprising representatives from the Federal Ministry of Education, National Universities Commission and JAC of NASU and SSANU would be constituted to resolve the impasse which had arisen due to the skewed distribution of the N50Billion Earned Allowances in which our members in the Universities were shortchanged, while those in the Inter-University Centres were completely shut out of the distribution.”
The Union notes that there was no conclusion at the 4th July, 2025, meeting on the issue of payment of two months’ outstanding withheld salaries owed to its members,
This, they said, was despite pledges by the Minister to put ” machinery in motion to expedite action on the issue of payment of arrears of 25/35% salary increments owed our members.
“Sequel to the 4th July, 2025 meeting, there was a reminder letter dated 18th August, 2025, owing to the silence or deliberate decision by your office not to address issues affecting Non-Teaching staff in our Universities and Inter-University Centres.
The Union, while noting that the renegotiation of the 2009 FGN and NASU/SSANU Agreements is being delayed, added that ” It is on record that Alhaji Yayale Ahmed led the Renegotiation Committee inaugurated on 15th October, 2024, to review the 2009 Agreements with the University-Based Unions only had inaugural meeting with the JAC of NASU and SSANU on 10th December, 2024, and since then the Federal Government Team has gone into limbo with the Non-Teaching Staff Unions”
The Unions, however, revealed that information at their disposal confirmed that the same Federal Government Team has already concluded renegotiation with their counterpart, the Academic Staff Union, ASUU, in the sector.
They noted that the government is now at the verge of signing an agreement with them, “while the Federal Government Team has refused to engage the Non-Teaching Staff Unions and even sidelined us despite fulfilling all justifications, including resubmission of our Memoranda of Demands.”
“We brought this to your attention during our 4th July, 2025, meeting, and you promised to intervene for the Committee to expedite action. Regrettably, we are yet to see progress.’
The two associations also recalled that despite their repeated efforts to draw the Minister’s attention to address concerns affecting their members in the Universities and inter-university centres, there appears to be nothing positive forthcoming from your office.
“In light of the persistent unresolved issues, and the apparent lack of responsiveness from the Government to our legitimate concerns



